Tuesday, August 25, 2026

No Zipper? I Can Fix That!

My mother-in-law sent my husband and I these hoodies. They are sooooo soft! Perfect for chilly days... only problem was that they didn't have zippers. Neither of us like hoodies that have to be pulled over. But I had an idea. And while not the most accomplished seamstress, I'm no slouch either. Took me a while, but I found some zippers and got to work! 

Our local Hobby Lobby had zippers, but not the 26 inch I was hoping for. Since only even numbers are what they had, we had to go with a 24 and it was... a little short. But not too bad, I think. I figured out exactly where I wanted the zipper to go and cut from bottom to top. 

Even through the pocket in the middle. 
I pinned the zipper sides to each side and sewed them up. The bottom edge was longer and the top gave me trouble on the white one since it crossed a bit, but overall, I was pleased with the result. 
Sadly, it turned out that my husband didn't fit his. Too much muscle in his chest!
But that just meant that my daughter inherited a new hoodie. Win-win! 
Little things like this give me a sense of accomplishment. A sense of doing something worthwhile. It might not be perfect, but I can still be proud of what I managed to do on my own. And I also learned some things about sewing on zippers... 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Emily, you have done a great job, all the sewing i do and I still hate zips. Ruth X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! I'm still learning, but I'm proud of what I accomplished this time around at least :)

      Delete